STEPS OF IMPLEMENTATION OF PALLIATIVE CARE ON THE HEALTH SYSTEM OF TAJIKISTAN
Akhmedov A., Samadova G.A., Maksudova Z.Ya., Abidzhanova N.N.
Department of Public Health, Economics, Management and Medical Statistics of Tajik Institute of Post-Graduate Education of Medical Staff
Department of Nursing in Family Medicine of Tajik Institute of Post-Graduate Education of Medical Staff Open Society Institute "Assistance Fund" in Tajikistan
Every year, the incidence of chronic diseases in Tajikistan is growing. By year 2010, the average life expectancy reached 68,3 years, although the figure is not close to pre-war level. There are appeared lonely elderly segment, who suffer under reduced quality of life, and very often death occurs as a result of disease. This picture proves the need to revise the form of medical care of these patients in the final stage of life. Many countries have proved that to meet the needs of these groups of patients, especially when they have decompensation stage and drug treatment is ineffective, palliative care is necessary not only because it is able to improve the quality of life of patient, but also because it is cost efficient. Sociological research of OSI "Assistance Fund" in Tajikistan found out that 76,4% of respondents with various chronic diseases needed palliative care but have not received it.
A group of concerned medical staff started a phase implementation of palliative care in the country's health system. On the first stage awareness of the health authorities were increased and specialists in palliative care were trained (60 people). Further all education institutions introduced questions on palliative care in the medical educational programs. Parallel undergraduate and postgraduate teachers of nursing education completed coaching courses (185 people). Moreover there were released textbooks for students and teachers guides. In the country graduated new specialists with palliative care knowledge and skills.
1. Dostizheniya Tseley Razvitiya Tysyacheletiya v Respublike Tadzhikistan. Proekt, 30 Aprelya 2003 goda [Achievements of targets of development of millennium in Republic of Tajikistan]. 209 p.
2. Zdorove naseleniya i zdravookhraneniya Respubliki Tadzhikistan [Health of the population and public health of Republic of Tajikistan]. Dushanbe, 2001. 25 p.
3. Resolution of the Government of RT from October 31, 2009. no. 587. p. 40.
4. Obzor sostoyaniya zdorovya i zdravookhraneniya v Tadzhikistane [Overview of the health and public health in Tajikistan]. Dushanbe, 2000. 25 p.
5. Resolution of the Government of RT from October 30, 2010 no. 562. p 35.
6. Palliativnayapomoshch v Respublike Tadzhikistan (po rezultatam sotsiologicheskogo issledovaniya) [Palliative help in Republic of Tajikistan (by results of sociological research)]. Dushanbe, 2007. 140 p.
7. Khodzhamurodov D., Rashel B. Tajikistan. Overview of the system of public health.
European Observatory on Health Systems and Policies, 2010, Vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 209.